List of important and common head and neck cancers: Please click the following links for detailed information.
- Oral Cavity Cancer: Affects the mouth, including the lips, tongue, floor of the mouth, and cheeks.
- Oropharyngeal Cancer: Occurs in the oropharynx, which includes the back of the tongue, tonsils, soft palate, and walls of the upper throat.
- Laryngeal Cancer: Affects the larynx or voice box, and can impact voice and breathing.
- Hypopharyngeal Cancer: Develops in the hypopharynx, the lower part of the throat just above the esophagus and windpipe.
- Nasopharyngeal Cancer: Occurs in the nasopharynx, the upper part of the throat behind the nose.
- Nasal Cavity and Paranasal Sinus Cancer: Affects the nasal cavity and the sinuses near the nose.
- Salivary Gland Cancer: Arises in any of the salivary glands in the mouth, neck, or throat.
- Thyroid Cancer: Though it’s considered a different category of cancer, thyroid cancer affects a gland in the neck and is often included in discussions of head and neck cancers.
- Lip Cancer: Often a form of skin cancer that occurs on the outer lips.
Each of these cancers can have varying symptoms, prognoses, and treatment options, and they require a specialized approach for management. Risk factors include tobacco use, alcohol consumption, HPV infection, and others. Early detection and treatment are crucial for improving outcomes.