To realize one’s destiny is a person’s only obligation.
What is the one book I always relate my life to?
What is the one book I have read several times?
What is the one book I would pick up whenever I need motivation?
What is the one book that has played a major role in shaping my life?
What is the one book that has provided a multitude of life-changing quotes?
What is the one book I have gifted several times to my friends and would gladly do so again?
That one unique book is “The Alchemist” by Paulo Coelho. With this one book, Paulo created an entirely different genre and amassed a great fan following. The book is a simple story about a shepherd boy named Santiago who follows his dream in search of treasure in the Egyptian pyramids. During his journey, he meets a gypsy woman and an old man disguised as a mysterious king. Both encourage him to pursue his dreams. Whenever I read this story, it resonates with me, as if it were my own, having had a similar experience during my childhood. I was always in search of some answers or treasures in my life. And as aptly put by several quotes in this fantastic book, whenever I wanted something badly, I found the answers or treasures.
Paulo starts the book with the quote, “To realize one’s destiny is a person’s only obligation,” captivating us from the beginning. Afterward, every sentence appears to be a quote, containing several hidden gems for life. I found myself underlining and re-reading all of them. Another quote we encounter early on is, “And when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.” This is probably one of the quotes that have been recited the most by many authors and speakers. When I finished the book and set it down, I felt a deep sense of satisfaction as if I had found a real treasure. And every time I read the book, I discover new treasures. That is the power of “The Alchemist.”
I don’t want to write much more about this book. Instead, if you haven’t read it already, I suggest you pick it up soon and read it. You should also recommend it to your friends and family. Here are some of my favorite quotes from the book:
- “When we strive to become better than we are, everything around us becomes better too.”
- “Every blessing ignored becomes a curse.”
- “When each day is the same as the next, it’s because people fail to recognize the good things that happen in their lives every day that the sun rises.”
- “People are capable, at any time in their lives, of doing what they dream of.”
- “Don’t give in to your fears. If you do, you won’t be able to talk to your heart.”
- “No matter what he does, every person on earth plays a central role in the history of the world. And normally, he doesn’t know it.”
- “Remember that wherever your heart is, there you will find your treasure.”
- “The secret of life is to fall seven times and to get up eight times.”
- “There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure.”
- “It’s the possibility of having a dream come true that makes life interesting.”
Prof. Dr. Prahlada N. B
10 February 2019